How to Do Space Buns
Documentation Download Documentation Download Documentation The ultimate updo if you’re searching for something a little more out of this world than a ponytail or a top knot, space buns are the way to go. Space buns are casual, fun, and fashionable, and they look excellent whether you’re attending a music festival or watching Star Wars with your buddies. Seeing as it appears that space buns will not be departing our planet anytime soon, we’ve put together this guide to walk you through the process of making space buns from scratch.
Don’t be concerned; making space buns isn’t rocket science at all.
- Using a comb, brush your hair and part it down the center. Comb your hair until it’s smooth and free of knots or tangles, then style it as desired. And make a center part for your hair, use the handle of a rat-tail comb to run it down the middle of your head from your forehead to your nape
- 2 Make two pigtails in a row. Choose whether you want them to be high on the top of your head or low on each side of your nape—experiment to find out what works best for you. Smooth down the hair that will be pulled into the pigtails so that they are smooth and neat when they are finished. Hair ties in the color of your hair should be used to secure the pigtails.
- Allow a few strands around your forehead to hang free for a smoother finish.
- 3 Tease your pigtails if you want to add additional volume to your look. Start by lifting up your first pigtail and combing it a few times, starting at the tips and working your way down to the end of the hair tie. This should be done with the second pigtail as well. If you have thin hair, this is a fantastic idea since it will make your hair look thicker and result in larger space buns at the end of the day.
- For added volume, tease the ends of your pigtails. Start by lifting up your first pigtail and combing it a few times, starting at the tips and working your way down to the hair tie at the end. This should be done with the second pigtail as well, if necessary. In the event that you have fine or thin hair, this is a fantastic option because it will make your hair look thicker and result in larger space buns at the conclusion.
- 4Make your initial pigtail into a rope by twisting it over itself. Take one of your pigtails and twist it away from your face, forming a rope around your neck. The tighter you twist the rope, the sleeker and smaller your bun will come out
- 5Circle the rope into a bun and secure it with a hair band to keep it from falling down. Wrap the rope around the base of the pigtail to secure it in place. To avoid damaging your face, wrap the scarf away from you rather than towards it. Tuck the end of your hair into the bun, and then wrap another hair tie around the base of the bun
- 5 To make the second bun, repeat the procedure. Twist the second pigtail into a rope, then wrap it into a bun to finish it off. Secure the bun with a hair tie after tucking the ends of the rope under it 7 Make any necessary adjustments to your buns. Here’s where you may let your imagination run wild. Using your fingers, gently tug on the outside edges of the buns to loosen the strands if you want them to be messier or more voluminous. To add even more volume to your buns, gently tug on the hair that is being pulled into them to loosen it up. Consider the hair on the top of your head and the sides of your head
- If you accidentally left strands out of your buns, straightening them with a flat iron may be an option. Allowing them to have a wispier appearance by bending the iron towards your face rather than straight down
- Use a flat iron to straighten strands from your buns if you haven’t done so before. Curve the iron towards your face rather than straight down to give them a wispier appearance.
- 1Brush your hair and then make a center part with it. Make sure your hair is lovely and silky by combing it. The handle of a rat-tail comb may be used to create a center part in the midst of your hairstyle. Begin at the top of your head and work your way down to the nape of your neck. Using your left half of your hair, drape it over your left shoulder, and your right half over your right shoulder
- 2 Pull one-half of your hair up into a loose bun to keep it off of your face and out of your way. Take the right part of your hair and bind it up with a hair tie to keep it in place. You can wear your hair in a loose bun or even pigtails. This is irrelevant
- The aim is to keep this part of your hair out of your way while you work on the other half. 3 On the left side of your head, pull your hair into a half-up ponytail. Create a horizontal portion on the left side of your head, about at the level of your eyebrows. Make a center part in the rear of your head, beginning at the hairline and finishing at the center part in the front of your head. Organize the hair above the part into a high ponytail and tie it off with a hair knot.
- If you want to wear your ponytail on the top-side of your head, rather than the back-center of your head, do so like a dog ear.
- 4If wanted, tease your ponytail a little. Because you will be dealing with less hair than you would while constructing a standard space bun, it would be a good idea to tease your ponytail a bit before you start working. Backcomb your ponytail towards the hair knot with a brush after lifting strands of hair from your ponytail
- 5 Twist the ponytail into a bun and bind it with a hair tie to finish the look. To begin, twist the ponytail away from your face to form a rope with your hair. After that, coil the rope around the base of the ponytail to form a bun with the hair. Tuck the ends of the rope beneath the bun and secure it with a hair tie at the base
- If you twist the space bun tightly enough, it will become smaller and sleeker in appearance.
- 6Untie the temporary bun from the other side and repeat the process on the opposite side. Return your attention to the right side of your head and remove the loose, temporary bun you formed previously. Create a second half-up ponytail, tease it, and then wrap it into a bun for another look. Another hair tie should be used to secure the bun. 7 If you like, you can tease the remainder of your hair. You are not have to do this, but it is a fantastic way to complete the vintage 90s style in your wardrobe. Alternative: If your buns are beautiful and smooth, you may straighten the remainder of your hair instead.
- Even more volume may be achieved by loosening the hair that is being pulled into the buns. During this stage, you should concentrate on the sides and top of your head
- It is fine if the section in the back-center of your head disappears. You don’t require it any more
- Finish by misting the space buns with hairspray after you’ve made any last adjustments. If your buns are feeling a little loose, use bobby pins to bind them to your hair. Once you’re satisfied with the overall appearance, softly spritz your hair with hairspray to finish it off. Allow the hairspray to dry completely before heading out
- Using a comb, brush your hair and part it down the center. Make sure your hair is lovely and silky by brushing it out. With the handle of a rat-tail comb, part your hair along the center from your forehead to your nape
- 2 Pull your hair into two pigtails and knot them together using hair ties to finish the look. Here’s where you may let your imagination run wild. It’s possible to wear two high pigtails at the crown of your head, or two low pigtails at the base of your neck. In order to get a Princess Leia-inspired style, you can even put the pigtails on the sides of your head, just over your ears.
- If you’re looking for something a little more complicated, consider half-up pigtails.
- 3 Braid the pigtails and bind them with clear hair elastics to complete the look. The initial pigtail should be divided into three equal sections. Cross the left and right sections over the central strand to form the braid. Once you’ve used up all of your hair, bind the braid with a clear hair elastic wrapped around the end of it. Repeat this procedure with the other pigtail as well.
- Instead, a 2-strand rope braid can be used to create a more distinctive design. This method is very effective for natural hair.
- 4 If desired, pull on the outside loops of the braids to make them appear more volumized. You are not need to do this, but it is a fantastic technique to add volume to your hair, especially if it is really thin in the first place. Gently tug on the outer loops of the braid starting at the bottom and working your way up till the top
- Repeat the same with the other braid
- If you used a 2-strand rope braid, you may skip this step. It is important not to pull too hard or the braid will come undone.
- 5 Tie the braids into buns and fasten them with hair ties to keep them in place. Pick up the left braid and wrap it around the hair tie to form a bun on the top of your head. Tuck the braid’s end beneath the bun, and then wrap another hair tie around the bun’s base. Repeat with the other braid. Then repeat the process for the other braid.
- If you want to make a regular bun, do not twist the braids into a rope like you would for that.
- 6 Make any necessary adjustments to your hair, then spritz it with hairspray. If your buns are feeling a little loose, pin them down along the side borders to the rest of your hair, using as many bobby pins as necessary. As soon as you are satisfied with the appearance of your space buns, spritz them with hairspray and allow the hairspray to dry
- Straightening the remainder of your hair for a smoother look is recommended if you wore braided half-up buns.
Create a new question
- QuestionWhat should I do if I have really curly hair? Straightening procedures that do not require heat are available (check out How toStraighten Your Hair Without Heat). In fact, I believe that messier, curlier buns look better than perfectly straight ones. I’ve seen folks with really curly hair pull it off without having to straighten their hair beforehand. In the event that it is really difficult to obtain an even part or to get the hair to twist, try drying it rather than getting it wet. How can I accomplish this with hair that is prone to tangling? There are a plethora of solutions available to help you untangle your hair. Aside than that, I recommend moving extremely slowly and gently, combing your hair and untangling any tangles as you go
- Question Is it possible to braid the pigtail instead of twisting it? Certainly, braid the ponytails, then wrap them around like buns and put them in place with bobby pins
- Question What is the best way to get my hair straight without brushing it too hard? Mackenzie RomeroAnswer from the Community You may always use a straightener, but be sure to maintain the heat on a low setting. It is not required to be perfectly straight. Once on low, increase the intensity by one level
- Question everything. What is the best way to make bigger buns? Making the buns looser will make them look larger, and this is something you can do
- Question Is it still possible for me to do it if I have really long hair? EmmaLee HudginsAnswer from the Community Yes, it is possible. They may appear larger, though, depending on how tightly you twist or braid your hair
- Question What can I do to make them seem more even? Answer from the Writersgem Community Make sure your middle parting is equal and straight. Using a large number of bobby pins and beginning with pigtails is also a good idea. Is it possible to accomplish this with short hair? It is recommended to use low buns instead of high buns if the length of your hair is insufficient to reach high up onto your head
- Question How can I make them even and ensure that they don’t wriggle around? Use bobby pins to keep them from wriggling, and if you don’t have any bobby pins, use more hair ties to keep them in place. Take your hair and equally divide it down the center, using the middle hair line, to get an even distribution. Question Is it still possible to do space buns if my hair is barely up to my shoulders? A half-up, half-down style, as seen in part 2, should be doable with your current amount of hair.
More information on the replies Inquire about something There are 200 characters remaining. Include your email address so that you may be notified when this question has been resolved. Submit
VideoRead Video Transcript
- Make the space buns as clean and elegant as you like, or as loose and sloppy as you want
- The choice is yours. Make some streaks in your hair with hair chalk before you begin to give it a more vivid appearance.
Thank you for submitting a suggestion for consideration!
Things You’ll Need
- Hairbrush, rat-tail comb, four hair ties, Bobby pins, hairspray
- Hairbrush, rat-tail comb, four hair ties, Bobby pins, hairspray
- Hairbrush, rat-tail comb, 4 hair ties, 2 clear hair elastics, Bobby pins, hairspray, and a hair tie holder
About This Article
Summary of the ArticleXTo style your hair into space buns, part your hair down the center. Then, using hair ties, knot each part of your hair into a pigtail on the other side. Twist one of the pigtails with both hands to make it a little more secure. You will achieve smaller and firmer space buns if you twist your hair in a tighter manner. Continue wrapping the twisted hair around the base of the pigtail many times until you have around 4 inches (10 cm) of hair remaining. Put the end of your pigtail below the bun you’ve just created, and secure the bun by putting a bobby pin in the end of your hair where it tucks under the bun and through the bun.
Finally, spritz your space buns with hairspray to ensure that they stay in place throughout the day.
Did you find this overview to be helpful?
Did this article help you?
How to do space buns is made simple with this lesson on how to do double buns (hint: it works even for short hair!). Because I am an Amazon Associate, I receive money when people make eligible purchases. As a result, this post may include affiliate links, which means that if you make a qualifying purchase after clicking on one of these links, I will get a small compensation at no additional cost to you. In my opinion, understanding how to do space buns is a must-have talent whether you’re seeking for the ultimate festival hairdo or just a charming and easy everyday appearance.
Simply follow the step-by-step space buns guide provided below to learn how to get this hairstyle at home.
How to Do Space Buns | Easy Double Buns Tutorial (Products)
Before we get started with this guide on how to achieve space buns, make sure you have all of the hair supplies you’ll need for this style.
You may get away with using generic products for this instruction; however, I’ve found that the following products are the most effective for this particular hairdo.
Although you are not need to use shampoo for this guide, I like to include a brief mention of my favorite anti-residue shampoo in all of my hair instructions to keep things simple. I have thin hair that is easily burdened down by hair products, which makes it difficult for me to style. It goes without saying that volume is an important component of a decent hairstyle, and this is hard to produce when your hair is soaked with residue from hairsprays, dry shampoo, detanglers, and other styling products.
If you have thin hair, I strongly recommend that you select a decent anti-residue shampoo to assist you improve the general quality and texture of your hair.
A Good Hair Brush
A nice hair brush will come in handy for this technique, as will some hairspray. The use of this product will be necessary throughout your style process in order to separate your hair and smooth out any lumps. I swear by this brush since it’s the only one I’ve discovered that doesn’t completely rip out my hair when I’m brushing it.
Related: How to Do a Messy Bun With Thin Hair
I don’t consider no-crease hair ties to be an absolute must in this technique, but I do highly recommend them (particularly if you have thin or fine hair). Because they don’t slip as much as conventional hair ties, I’ve found that no crease hair ties are the most effective when trying to create space buns. There’s nothing more stressful than spending hours perfecting your hairdo only to have it start to fall out minutes after you’ve finished.
Bobby pins will also be required for this look to keep the buns in place (I likethese blonde ones).
Hairspray and Shine Spray are recommended (optional, but I use this to finish off all my styles)
1. Start With Clean, Dry Hair
How to achieve space buns begins with clean, dry hair, which is the first stage in the process. For my space buns, I pre-curled my hair since it adds more volume to my hair and I thought it would look better that way given my hair’s structure. Additionally, you’ll want to begin this space buns lesson by splitting your hair in the center (or as near to the centre as you can get it, because this is something I usually struggle with!).
2. Start Your First Space Bun
Begin by sectioning out hair on one side of your part to form the base of your first space bun. Because this article will show you how to achieve half up half down double buns, you’ll want to section off the top layer of your hair and leave the bottom layer of your hair down.
3. Twist The Hair
Taking a segment of hair and twisting it before fastening it with a hair tie with ano wrinkle is my preferred method.
4. Secure With a Hair Tie
After that, tie that portion of hair back with a hair tie (again, I find that no crease hair ties work best for keeping the buns stable and preventing slippage).
5. Wrap the HairSecure With Bobby Pins
Wrap the ponytail around the hair tie and secure it in place.
In order to make the bun seem solid, you’ll want to wrap the hair pretty firmly around the bun and pin it down in various places until it feels secure.
6. Adjust the Bun
The final and most difficult stage in learning how to make space buns is perhaps the most difficult. You will now need to tweak the bun you just created by gently pushing it at the sides until it is exactly as you want it. Step 3: The fact that my space buns aren’t as big and fluffy as other people’s demonstrates that if you have thick and/or long hair, you will be able to pull the buns and control them far more easily.
Related: The Best Hair Mask for Oily Hair (Easy, 3 Ingredients)
In order to obtain your double buns, you’ll need to repeat these techniques on the other side of your portion.
8. Finish Off With Hairspray
Following your satisfaction with the way your space buns appear, you can finish the design by softly spraying the buns in hair spray to further secure them. This shine spray is also a favorite of mine to use to finish off all of my hairstyles. In general, knowing how to make space buns isn’t all that difficult to master. There are a plethora of unique variants you can create with this haircut, including adding glitter, temporary hair colour, and other embellishments. Alternatively, you may go for a more straightforward style for a fun everyday appearance.
If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to approach me on Instagram, and I would be pleased to assist you.
Related: Aloe Vera Hair Mask — The Best DIY Aloe Hair Mask for Hair Growth
Women’s hairstyling trends in recent years have included space buns, which are definitely a show stopper. ‘Space bun’ is defined as a ‘hairstyle sported by Princess Leia in the Star Wars film A New Hope’ according to the urban dictionary. This wonderful haircut is also worn and admired by many Hollywood celebrities, whom we will not mention here. It has that ’90s feel to it (think Gwen Stefani and Björk), and it has made the most beautiful comeback in recent memory. Piggytail buns are a lot of fun to wear since they are simple and completely effortless.
Where Does the Name Space Buns Come from?
The spacebun hairstyle has a long history, even if you don’t believe it yourself! We now have one of the most popular haircuts in the world, thanks to the Star Wars saga and Princess Leia’s signature look. Carrie Fisher ignored her mother’s warnings not to take parts that required her to wear unusual haircuts, despite the fact that she had been warned. We have the advantage of having to contribute something. However, in a recent interview, George Lucas admitted that he had a difficult time coming up with a distinctive haircut for Princess Leia to wear in the film series.
Lucas stated that he drew influence from ancient Mexican literature and history.
She embodies the traditional revolutionary appearance that George Lucas envisioned for Princess Leia.
There are no surprises here! Several years later, fan investigations revealed that the hairdo may potentially be associated with the Native American Hopi tribe. Squash blossom was the name given to this hairstyle in the past.
How to Do Space Buns
You may obtain a fantastic haircut that will allow you to travel into space in a matter of minutes by following a few simple steps. You’ll need bobby pins (which we always seem to misplace), hairbands, and a brush for this. If you want your buns to linger longer, you may spray them with hairspray as well. Do you think you’ve got it all? Let’s get this party started!
- 1st step: Comb through your hair, making sure to brush it all the way down to the ends
- Second step: Step 2 – At this point, you can separate your hair. If you want to make your buns appear even more fascinating, part your hair in a zig-zag pattern. Normally, ladies part their hair in the middle. It is entirely up to you
- To make side ponytails, use your brush to separate the two sections of your hair that are separated by your brush. Make sure your ponytails are positioned high on your head, in the centre of your face
- Step 4 – Tease your ponytails with a brush if you want to add additional volume to them. Fifth, twist and coil your hair into a string, and then wrap it around your head in a bun
- And To complete the appearance, secure your hair with an extra set of elastics and a few bobby pins that are fastened under the elastics.
Watch the following video to learn how to create a DIY space bun hairstyle in a quick and simple manner.
How to Style Braided Space Buns
Braids are a stylish enhancement to the traditional space bun. There are no rules about whether you use fishnets or traditional ones; nonetheless, they will unquestionably make your haircut more fascinating. Whether you choose a top knot or wish to braid your hair in the back, the results will be spectacular! We have to agree that this is a more difficult hairstyle to do, but once you’ve tried it, you won’t be able to take it off.
- Space buns made of braids are a stylish enhancement over the regular version. There are no rules on whether you choose fishnets or classic ones
- However, they will unquestionably add interest to your haircut. Whether you choose a top knot or wish to braid your hair in the back, the results will be stunning! While this is a more difficult hairstyle to achieve, once you’ve tried it, you won’t be able to stop yourself from wearing it!
Watch the video below to learn how to create and style a braided space bun hairstyle.
Best Hairstyles with Space Buns to Try
Having discovered where the name of this hairstyle originates, as well as the secrets to making it appear absolutely stunning, it is now time to be inspired. Here are some of the most beautiful space bun hairstyles you should attempt right away!
1. Voluminous Braids
This braided hairstyle will give you the right combination of volume and chicness. You can easily make braids if you follow the instructions in this article. Half-up space buns are a great way to make your hair seem more voluminous. Isn’t it simple and stylish?
2. Rainbow Ends
It is imperative that you get this hairstyle right now if you are a lover of pastel balayage for hair! A rainbow end, a double bun, and some short braids will be all that you need to make a grand entrance.
3. Simple yet Beautiful Buns
It goes without saying that this is the perfect hairstyle for you if you want something that is both simple to construct and stunningly attractive in appearance. Half-up, half-down space buns are a great option for everyday use.
4. ReverseBraided Space Buns
Perhaps you were unaware of the fact that space bun hairdos are a fantastic alternative for all of those sporty people out there. In addition to keeping your hair in order, this inverted down French braidsbun hairstyle will also make you appear trendy, whether you are heading to the gym or going for a run.
5. Lilac Buns
If you want to try something new and different, you should absolutely experiment with violet hair to the extreme. We are confident that it will generate a great deal of good feedback. Purple is stunning, but when styled in braids and space buns, it becomes even more fashionable!
6. Space Buns with Bangs
Space buns are no longer exclusively for youngsters, thanks to the addition of elegant long bangs that conceal the earlobes. Secure them slightly over your ears, and don’t be afraid to leave a few free tendrils here and there.
7. Space Buns for Thin Hair
A side bang is the perfect form of fringe to go with braided space buns if you have thicker hair. These are tightly twisted in order to achieve a tiny form.
8. Micro Box Braided Space Buns
Micro braids are a popular hairstyle for many Black women who are transitioning from their natural hair to a more polished look.
In the interim, experiment with different colors such as purple and blonde, and then twist your hair into enormous space buns.
9. Red Space Buns
Bright red hair may be used to lend a flash of electrifying color to long, straight hair. Creating two ponytails and wrapping the hair around the base of the bun takes only a few minutes and takes no time at all!
10. Vintage Space Buns Style
An updated version of Princess Leia’s classic bun hairdo is seen here. Unlike the others, these ones are gigantic in size and fan out behind the ears. Combine with a deep, black lip color for the maximum statement-making effect.
11. Space Buns with Flowers
Besides long black hair, braids, and buns, is there anything more you could possibly need to make this pigtail bun hairstyle seem absolutely stunning? Yes, you absolutely do! Using flowers as a hair decoration will never go out of style.
Dark roots and accents in purple and pastelpink hues are really stunning together. Two buns are added to the equation to create a unique and wearable adolescent hairstyle that is great for everyday use.
13. Festival Ready Buns
Although pastel green hair dye may not be the most appropriate color for everyday or business wear, it is ideal for music festivals. You will be the main attraction at any occasion if you have long hair with space buns on top and a little glitter in your hair.
14. SequinedUpdo with Braids
Do not be afraid to go overboard with the sequins if you are attending Coachella or another music event. They are more than welcome to do so! You may separate your hair in the center and create two Dutch braids, which you can then twist into a space bun and decorate with a lot of glitter. Don’t you think this is a perfect style with a bohemian vibe?
15. Chic Low Buns
Do not be afraid to overdo the sequins if you are attending Coachella or other music festivals. They have full permission to do so! Your hair can be parted in the center, divided into two Dutch braids, and tied into a space bun, embellished with many glitters. Don’t you think this is a lovely outfit with a bohemian feel?
16. Loose andLong Hair Bun
To get the ultimate boho look, braid only pieces of your hair while creating two small buns on the top of your head. This hairdo is ideal for summertime wear, music festivals, and just about every occasion in your life.
17. Holographic Hair
If you use a hairspray that contains light-changing sequins, you can get the ultimate galaxy look. Parties, night outs, and music festivals like as Coachella are all excellent occasions for this hairstyle with space bun.
18. Zig-Zag Sequins and Buns
When styling your hair, instead of splitting it along the center, sling sections of it in opposite directions to create a zig-zag pattern. Don’t be afraid to sprinkle some glitter in the centre of your space buns once you’ve finished them with braids.
19.Curly Hair Buns
Anyone who has curly hair would never have believed that space buns could look this good. We haven’t been informed, to put it mildly. If, on the other hand, you are having trouble shaping your curls, simply pull them into buns and don’t bother about it.
20. Glitter on your Hair
If glittering your face isn’t enough for you, try putting it in your hair as well. You will be the light of the entire universe! Parties and festival season are ideal occasions for this half-up, half-down hairdo.
21. Buns onShort Hair
For those of the females who believed it was impossible for them to create a bun hairdo, you were completely incorrect.
When you have short hair, this is how a space bun appears — it’s fantastic!
22.Short Curly Hair
In addition, how adorable do these half-space buns look on wavy hair? If you have a hairdo like this, give it a shot — you won’t be disappointed with the results!
23.Wedding Appropriate Buns
Pigtail buns may not seem like a hairdo that would be ideal for a wedding, but that is not fully accurate either. As you can see, these buns would look stunning on your wedding day, especially when decorated with white fresh flowers and stylish waves.
24. Cute Double Buns
Space buns are a popular hairdo for traveling, according to many female travelers. Because the hairstyle is so convenient, you can even do it while on the move.
25. SideCornrow Braids
For this hairstyle to work, you will just need three little traditional braids and two buns, which will take care of everything. It will add a surprising twist to your ordinary appearances and make them more interesting.
For this hairstyle to work, you will just need three little traditional braids and two buns, which is all you will need. With it, you may add a surprising touch to your usual ensembles.
27. Bun Cuffs
Adding bohemian bun cuffs to your buns will make them even more eye-catching. Everyone who sees you will be taken aback by the tassels!
28.Teal Blue Hairstyle
Deep blue dye with a bright accent is perfect for rebellious young ladies! You shouldn’t be afraid to put a little glitter in the centre of your head and wear your hair in space buns.
29. Boho Vibes Buns
You might be surprised to learn that tattoos are no longer restricted to the face and torso. Summer tattoos in gold and turquoise tones look fantastic on your hair! It is possible to get the ultimate bohemian beach style with a space bun and double French braids.
30. Ribbon Ties in your Hair
If you’re attending a black-tie event, try to emulate this look. When it comes to styling and making your buns seem even more professional, ribbons are essential.
31. Curly Space Buns
A half-up space bun hairstyle is the ideal approach to show off your curls while yet maintaining a fashionable appearance. Make a central part before making these little space buns for a sleek symmetrical appearance.
32. Space Buns for Asian Women
Put your natural Asian straight hair up into these lovely braided space buns instead of leaving it flat and limp as you normally would. A few hairs around the face help to lighten the overall look.
33. Twisted Space Buns
Begin by rolling the hair from either side of your head into two low space buns with a twist. Secure with a hair tie, then wind the hair around the base of the ponytail to finish it off.
34. Space Buns for Round Faces
You might not believe that calling attention to your round face is a good thing, but there are some hairstyles, such as space buns, that are incredibly attractive on round faces. Before constructing the buns on top of the head, you only need to do a center part in your hair.
35. Space Buns for Thick Hair
Space buns are a terrific way to draw attention to your thick hair and make it stand out. Instead of firmly looping the hair around the base of a ponytail, attempt to let it a little free to create the jumbo shape to give it more volume.
36. Space Buns on Long Hair
Extremely long hair that is almost waist-length should be flaunted and celebrated.
Alternatively, little space buns can be worn at the top for a beautiful half updo look.
37. Space Buns for Little Girls
Much if you’re used to merely giving your little daughter a ponytail or low braids for school days, she’ll appreciate it even more if you offer her two high space buns instead.
38. Space Buns with Crochet Braids
If you have natural black hair, there is no reason why you couldn’t appear beautiful while still preserving it: create a half updo with two little space buns and you can sport this playful micro-braided style.
39. Bow Space Buns
It’s possible that you’ll need to follow a bow hair guide to get this space bun style, but the end result will be well worth it. Two long tendrils should be left to frame your face.
40. Dreadlock Space Buns
Two high space buns that are enormous in form are a terrific go-to hairstyle for ladies who have thick dreadlocks and want to keep their look simple and stylish.
Two high space buns that are huge in form are a terrific go-to look for ladies who have thick dreadlocks and want to keep it simple.
5 Ways To Do Space Buns at Home With Inspo Looks
In the 1990s, space buns were a tremendously fashionable hairstyle that has just re-emerged in popularity. The hairstyle is characterized by two buns that are worn on the top of the head, with popular variations including braided buns and half-up, half-down versions of the style. Space buns, which are beloved by celebrities like as Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande, are the perfect way to infuse a little carefree fun into your look, whether you’re traveling to a summer festival or one more party before the year is up.
Which tutorial are you going to choose?
’90s Space Buns
Are you prepared to learn how to make space buns? Begin by taking a comb and creating a zig-zag parting from the front of your hair all the way down to the nape of your neck with it. Step No. 2
Create 2 high ponytails.
Make two high ponytails and secure them with a small hair tie to complete the look. Make sure to leave a few strands of hair free around your face, as this will give you a more face-flattering appearance. Step number three.
Create a small braid in each ponytail.
Take a little bit of hair from the underside of one of your ponytails and twist it into your space buns to give them a more distinctive and textured look. Braid this piece into a typical 3-strand braid all the way down to the ends – don’t worry about fastening it now; we’ll take care of that later on. Step number four.
Plump up the volume.
Then, using your hands, gently tease your hair back towards the roots, scrunching the substance into your hair. Adding this will give your space buns the additional texture and attitude they require! Step number five.
Wrap your hair into space buns.
Gather the ends of each ponytail together and twist them together to make a bun shape, being care to leave the braided area of your hair untangled for the time being. Using bobby pins, pin your buns into the position you want them to be in. Step 6: Organize your thoughts and feelings about the situation.
Wrap the plaits around the buns.
Each ponytail should be wrapped around on itself to make a bun shape, making care to leave the braided piece of your hair untangled for the time being.
Hair pins can be used to hold buns in place until they are in the proper location. Step 6: Organize your thoughts and feelings about your situation.
Set your style.
Applying hairspray all over your crazy space buns will help them stay longer into the night and keep them looking fresh. In this eighth step, you will learn how to use a comma to separate the words “and” and “and not.”
The result? Fabulous space buns fit for a party in only minutes! Though it’s not necessary, curling or crimping the front sections of your hair may elevate your style to a whole new level, and it’s definitely something to experiment with!
Low Space Buns
Begin by priming your hair with theVO5 Express Primer Spray, which detangles your locks while also reducing those annoying flyaways and frizz. Separate your hair (down the center) into two equal portions by using a comb or your fingers to divide it evenly. Next, bind each portion into two low ponytails using hairbands to complete the look. Step No. 2
Tease and Twist Your Pigtail.
It’s now time to get down to business! Take your first ponytail and gently twist it all the way down to the end of your hair. Repeat with your second ponytail. Step number three.
Create a Bun.
To make a bun form, begin by wrapping your hair around the base of the ponytail and continuing to wrap until you have a bun shape. Once you’ve achieved the desired shape, pin it in place with as many bobby pins as necessary to keep the style in place. Step number four.
Create Your Second Bun.
To construct your second bun, tease and twist your second ponytail like you did with the first. Step number five.
And There You Have It!
Double low buns that will be the talk of the party at your next gathering!
Braided Space Buns
Looking for another really adorable method to style your hair? Look no further. Then these braided space buns could just be the answer to all of your hair prayers. These retro-looking double buns, which are inspired by the ’90s, are as at home on lazy, casual weekends as they are for the forthcoming party season, which is fast approaching.
Braided Half-Up, Half-Down Space Buns
Is it necessary to have a hairstyle that can survive any event and last you throughout the season? If this is the case, the half-up, half-down space buns hairstyle is a great option. Check out the video below to see what occurred when vloggerN1kk1sSecr3t demonstrated how to get this amazing half-up hybrid style, and then give it a shot yourself!
Classic Half-Up, Half-Down Space Buns
In case you’re a complete novice to the world of style, we’ve got you covered. A more straightforward variant of N1kk1sSecr3braided t’s ‘do, this hairstyle can be achieved with any type of hair, including straight, wavy, and curly hair. Decide how you want your completed style to appear first, and then either straighten or curl your mane to prepare it, or accept your natural texture — it’s entirely up to you! When you know how to do it, half-up space buns are simple and enjoyable to create. Verity is to be credited.
Instructions for making half-space buns: To begin, separate your hair along the middle with the use of a comb.
This ponytail should be positioned in the centre of the top of your head, if possible.
When you are finished with one ponytail at a time, take the tail and wrap it around the base to make a space bun.
Make use of some bobby pins to keep this in place. 5. Finish by spraying your half-space buns with theTRESemmé Ultimate Shine Hold Hairspray to help keep them in place. Now, go ahead and flaunt your wacky buns to the world!
Space Buns Inspiration
When it comes to style, we’re here to help you get started. Straight, wavy, or curly hair can be used to produce a more straightforward variation of N1kk1sSecr3braided t’s look. Decide how you want your completed style to appear first, and then either straighten or curl your mane to prepare it, or accept your natural texture — it’s entirely up to you! – When you know how to do it, half-up space buns are simple and enjoyable to make. Verity is given credit for this. The name Jane Smith is derived from the English phrase “Jane Smith is a woman who.” Half space buns can be made in several ways.
- Work on one side of your hair at a time, collect a 3 to 4 inch-wide section of hair from near the front of your head into a half-up, half-downhigh ponytail and tie it with a clear elastic.
- Spray your ponytails with the VO5 Dry Backcomb Spray and then lightly tease your hair to add extra body and volume to your ponytail.
- Working on one ponytail at a time, take the tail and wrap it around the base of the ponytail to create a space bun look.
Glittery Zig-Zag Space Buns
Photograph courtesy of Instagram.com/leanneslaterstudios Did you know that glitter and festivals go together like peanut butter and jelly? Adding some glitter and sparkle to your space buns (or any other hairdo for that matter!) is an easy and enjoyable way to dress them up! With her zig-zag split buns and glitter-sprinkled roots, this Instagrammer is giving us some festival hair envy. Follow her on Instagram. Credit:@leanneslaterstudios
Half-Up, Half-Down Glitter Space Buns For Short Hair
Glitter space buns that are half-up and half-down. Photograph courtesy of Instagram.com/populationsalon In the case of short hair, a half-up, half-down style is ideal for achieving space buns for short hair. Your fringe should be left untouched, and you should collect the remaining top part of your hair into two small buns. Before you venture out to the fields, sprinkling some glitter and donning your favorite pair of sunglasses will set the tone for some serious glam. Credit:@populationsalon
Voluminous Afro Space Buns
Afro space buns with a lot of volume. Photograph courtesy of Instagram.com/futura cacheada Do you have afro or curly hair? You’re in luck: when arranged into large buns, these hair types appear really attractive and fashionable. Because, if you ask us, larger is always preferable to smaller! Credit:@futura cacheada
Sleek Glittery Space Buns
Glittery space buns, to be precise. Photograph courtesy of Instagram.com/hairbyjaxx If you’re anything like us, and you’re infatuated with all things glitter, then why not go all out with the dazzle and cover your whole head with it?
Don’t forget to create two messy buns to round off the ensemble. You’ll be ready to hit the dance floor in no time! Credit:@hairbyjaxx
Rainbow Half-Up, Half-Down Space Buns
Half-up, half-down space buns in a rainbow of colors. Photograph courtesy of Instagram.com/nealmhair Everything just looks so much better on people with multi-colored hair, don’t you think? What better way to show off your ombre locks than with a lovely half-up, half-down space bun? You’ll be sure to turn heads everywhere you go with this outfit! Credit:@nealmhair
Starry Space Buns
Space buns with a nebula on top. Photograph courtesy of Instagram.com/ nicquelxoxo Do you have a glimmer in your eye? Consider using moon or star-shaped sequins into your space buns hairdo for a look that is truly out of this world! You could even finish off the appearance by spritzing your buns with a contrasting colored hairspray (we recommend a blue, green or purple hue to tie in with the galaxy theme). Credit:@ nicquelxoxo
Ombre Space Buns
Ombre space buns in a variety of colors. Photograph courtesy of Instagram.com/prettyinpattern If you’re not a fan of all the glitter, don’t worry: regularombrespace buns are still very much in style. Space buns that are both sloppy and refined in appearance look great with ombre hair. Experiment with different bun sizes to find out which one fits best with your hairstyle! Credit:@prettyinpattern
Sign up to our newsletter and get exclusive hair care tips and tricks from the experts at All Things Hair.
Messy buns, ballerina buns, braided buns – it’s safe to say that there’s a perfect bun hairstyle for any occasion out there. When it comes to errands, a sloppy bun is appropriate, a ballerina bun is appropriate for an interview, and a braided bun is appropriate for a special occasion. But what about the joyful, carefree bun hairdo that we can’t seem to get enough of these days? The hairdo with space buns! You can safely argue that this hairstyle is out of this world—but it’s not out of reach for you.
HOW TO GET A SPACE BUNS HAIRSTYLE
Messy buns, ballerina buns, braided buns – it’s safe to say that there’s a perfect bun hairstyle for any occasion out there! When it comes to errands, a sloppy bun is perfect, a ballerina bun is perfect for an interview, and a braided bun is perfect for a special occasion. We can’t seem to get enough of the joyful, casual bun hairdo, though. The hairdo known as “space buns” You can safely declare that this hairstyle is out of this world—but it is not out of reach for you. Check out the video instruction below to learn how to make space buns.
STEP1: BRUSH YOUR HAIR
While this step may seem self-explanatory, it’s critical to begin by combing your mane to verify that it’s free of any tangles or knots before proceeding.
STEP2: PART YOUR HAIR
By making a center part in your hair, you may divide it into two equal portions. It is critical to ensure that your part is as straight as possible, with the equal amount of hair on either side, since this will make or break your overall space bun appearance!
STEP3: CREATE SOME PONYTAILS
One part of hair should be gathered and tied into a ponytail at the top of your head, toward the back. Make sure to smooth out any kinks that may occur during the process. Your ponytail’s location can be customized to suit your needs; however, bear in mind that the base of your ponytail will be located where your space bun is.
Following the completion of one ponytail on one side of your portion, proceed to build a duplicate ponytail on the other side. You don’t want your space buns to seem asymmetrical, so make sure you duplicate your positioning!
STEP4: MAKE YOUR BUNS
To make your space buns, you’ll want to wrap the length of your hair around the base of your ponytail from the front to the back. Hold this freshly created bun in place as you pin it down with bobby pins to finish it off. Make sure to use bobby pins that are the same color as your hair for a seamless appearance! Repeat the process on the opposite side.
STEP5: SEAL THE DEAL
Hairspray should be used to finish the appearance since you don’t want all of your hard work to go to waste. That’s all there is to it, unless you want to go all out and accessorize your space buns for a truly beautiful look. More on it in a moment!
3 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR SPACE BUNS OTHER-WORLDLY
Want to improve the look of your space bun style even further? There are a variety of ways you can make your space buns seem extraterrestrial, and we’ve included three of our favorites below.
OPTION1: ADD COLOR
You want to improve the look of your space bun. It is possible to make your space buns seem extraterrestrial in a variety of ways, and we’ve included three of our favorite approaches below.
OPTION2: ADD GLITTER
Want to improve the look of your space bun style even more? There are a variety of techniques to make your space buns seem extraterrestrial, and we’ve included three of our favorites below.
OPTION3: ADD FUN HAIR TIES
When everything is said and done, there is no easier way to personalize a space buns hairstyle than by using a few colorful hair ties to bring it all together. Remove the transparent elastics from your wardrobe and replace them with cuffs, coils, and bows. After you’ve finished building your space buns, you can dress them up with a colorful accessory such as a hair clip or a flower crown. You have the entire universe of accessorizing at your disposal. Now that you’ve learned how to do space buns, as well as a few tips and tricks for taking your space buns hairdo to the next level, why not learn how to create the ideal makeup look to go with them?
30 Updos For Thin Hair (and How to Achieve Them)
All things considered, there is no better way to personalize a space buns hairstyle than by using a set of bright colored hair ties to complete the look. Instead of using plain, transparent elastics, use cuffs, coils, and bows to decorate your outfit. A colorful accessory, such as a hair clip or a flower crown, can be added once you’ve finished building your space buns. You have the entire world of accessorizing to choose from. Following your successful completion of the space buns hairstyle, as well as a few tips and tricks for upgrading your space buns hairstyle, why not learn how to create a flawless makeup look to complement your space buns hairstyle.
Playfully Parted Ponytail
An simple hairstyle that was snatched right off the runway is this playfully separated ponytail, which you can recreate at home. Your rat tail comb will be your most important tool in attaining this style since it will let you to nail those precise lines.
Fill in any spots where the scalp is peeping through other than the partings with hair powder or eyeshadow that matches your hair color to conceal any visible roots. In addition to creating the illusion of fullness, it will also assist define those firm, crisp partings. 02 out of 30
Ditch the Parting
In order to make your ‘do look fuller, you should prevent any peaks of the scalp and pull the hair completely back. This will avoid displaying how near the scalp may be to the surface of your hair. 03 out of 30
Making some contrast in the hair will help to direct the viewer’s attention to certain areas of the face. The overdirected side parting of this half-up style adds volume to the top of the hair, which contrasts with the sleeked back sides and stick straight ends below. 04th out of 30
GETTY Using your hair to create shape(s) is a lovely method to add dimension to finer strands of hair. This is especially enjoyable while constructing an updo with the assistance of hair extensions. You can construct comparable origami type buns like the ones seen here by wrapping a little weft of extra length around any ponytail and scrunching it up into a figure 8 shape. Buns should be secured in the middle with a hair elastic, but don’t forget to add a colorful accent to hide the elastic, such as some gold or silver string, to make it more interesting.
GETTY Using your hair to create shape(s) is a lovely method to add dimension to finer strands. This is especially entertaining while making an updo with the assistance of hair extensions. You can construct comparable origami-style buns like the ones seen here by wrapping a little weft of extra length around any ponytail and scrunching it up into a figure 8 shape. If you’re using a hair elastic to hold your buns together in the center, don’t forget to add a creative accent to cover up the elastic, such as some gold or silver chain.
GETTYAdd some glitter to your pulled-back ‘do by sticking stick-on pearls or jewels to the hair and scattering them throughout. This freckled style adds a touch of extravagance while yet maintaining a calm demeanor. 07th out of 30
GETTY While your hair is still damp or dry, spritz an even coating of BedHead by Tigi’s Queen For A Day throughout it to create that flawlessly messy movement. Blow dry the product into the hair to ensure it is well absorbed. Your fine strands will sense an immediate change, with more grit and hold for style and a plumper, fuller appearance all around. Finish your hair with a few spritzes of Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray and turn your hair around to create that perfectly imperfect parting you’ve been looking for.
Adorn Your ‘Do
GETTY If your updo is bringing you someplace, add a little bit more to make it extra special. A swath of flowers, whether fresh or imitation, is a wonderful accent to your standard chignon look. Moreover, the manner you lift your hair up and back has no discernible learning curve or specialization, which is a welcome relief. Allow the adornments to take center stage as you relax and enjoy the lack of styling effort on your part. 09th day of the month of December
GETTYFRONT poufs, sometimes known as “bumps,” may have had their day in the spotlight in the early 2000s, but for finer strands, this style is one that never truly goes out of style.
A little backcombing held in place with bobby pins is far too simple a remedy to throw out the window. Make use of this craze to assist frame your updo and give it a little additional “oomph.” 10 out of 30
Wrap Around Pony
GETTY This is a traditional bubble ponytail without the bubbles, and it’s a terrific updo choice for fine hair in medium to long lengths. Image courtesy of Pinterest. Get rid of the teased-up areas in favor of a more clean and sleek version of this fashion-forward ponytail. The key to pulling off this style with fine hair is to incorporate a focal point above your elastics. As an alternative to saving those thin, valuable strands to wrap around each base, add other reinforcements, such as the gold cords seen here, to the mix.
GETTY If you want your updos to have that effortlessly breezy quality, use a soft hold volumizing mousse and attach flat duck bill clips or no-crease clips vertically around the hairline to keep the hair up while you diffuse. In addition to keeping your roots up while the heat transforms your hair into the correct shape for your updo, the clips will also provide a voluminous foundation for your style. 12 out of 30
Sculpted High Bun
GETTYHigh buns that are tight and sleek are a terrific updo choice for women with thin hair. Applying a styling lotion to your hair will help it stay smooth and tame while you twist it into a variety of various styles. Adding these twists to your topknot will give it a sculpted, three-dimensional appearance. 13th out of 30
Consider Your Cut
GETTY When you have fine hair, the haircut you choose is critical to your overall appearance. When it comes to maintaining the vibrancy and appearance of your hair, blunt ends, layers, and even bangs may be quite beneficial, no matter how you style it. 14 out of 30
GETTY Having a lot of hair for two thick, braided space buns may be difficult, but these tiny gentlemen illustrate that you don’t need a lot of hair to look adorable. If everything else fails, don’t be afraid to braid a weft of hair into your hairstyle! It’s a straightforward alternative that comes with no strings (or clips) attached. 15th out of 30
It’s a lot of fun to experiment with different hairstyles, and the GETTYA pompadour looks especially good on shorter hair. Lift the roots up and away from the scalp using a brush or comb after applying a thickening spray to them. If you like a more curled and controlled style, such as the one seen below, use your round brush to direct the movement you wish. Make a final touch by pulling the sides back for contrast and securing with a high grip hairspray to complete the style. 16th out of 30
With shorter hair, the GETTYA pompadour is a great style to experiment with because it is so easy to manage. Lift the roots up and away from the scalp using a brush or comb after applying a thickening spray. For a more curled and controlled style, such as the one seen below, use your round brush to direct the movement in the direction you choose. Make a final touch by pulling the sides back for contrast and fastening with a firm grip hairspray to complete the style. the sixteenth out of thirty
Add a face-framing braid along the hairline before tying your hair into a casual low ponytail or bun, and you’ve got yourself a party-perfect updo for any occasion. 18 out of 30
Woven Head Scarf
GETTY Though we understand that naturally curly texture does not necessarily fall under the category of thin hair, the following styling advice may be used on any hair type. An updo that includes a scarf that is weaved into it will give the appearance of greater density, making the overall look of the look a little more substantial. a total of 19 out of 30
Sleek and Simple
GETTYKeep your updo neat and uncomplicated with a tidy parting and no flyaways in sight for a polished appearance. When applied with a little toothbrush (for hair only, of course), a little pomade around the edges and a little hairspray all around will give you those smooth, flyaway-free updos. 20th out of 30
GETTYD A small effort that goes a far way in elevating any stylish updo, while still remaining lighthearted and entertaining, is to detail your hairline with clips, barrettes, or even a micro braid. the twenty-first out of thirty
GETTY It is not always necessary to have a large amount of hair pulled back in order to get a beautiful updo with delicate strands. This updated beehive has a sultry shape with just the right amount of volume and gritty texture to make a statement. 22nd out of 30
GETTYFine hair is frequently devoid of natural movement, but this does not rule out the possibility of achieving curls and waves. Wrap small pieces of hair around the barrel of a small curling iron that is around 3/8″-3/4″ in size, starting at the roots and working your way down to the ends. You may use your brush to separate and loosen the coils once you’ve finished creating a complete head of ringlets. This will give your hair full, fluffy movement throughout the entire head. It’s also possible to back-brush the curls to give them more body, and then twist it loosely into a thicker top knot for a romantic appearance like the one seen below.
23 out of 30
GETTYStatement items will always spice up an easy updo, even on the thinnest of hair, and will never go out of style. Any of the following items, whether it’s a headband, ribbon, a large clip, a barrette, or a hairpin, are simple standouts that keep your style efforts to a minimum while yet creating an attractive completed appearance. 24th out of 30
Position Your Ponytail
GETTY Now, don’t take this image literally; we understand that braided locks aren’t the most common hairstyle for people with fine hair. Instead, pay attention to the placement of the ponytail. The appearance of a high ponytail with thin hair—and I’m talking high, as seen here, between the hairline and the crown of the head—is a fun and flirty trick that can only work in your favor in the long run. 25th out of 30
GETTY Making a basis for your ‘do may be quite beneficial when making an updo on thinner hair. By pulling up the bottom half of your strands into a little, barely visible bun, you offer the upper half of your strands something to pin themselves onto.
Twists and knots may be created with the upper half of the section: Make use of your imagination when it comes to concealing that bun below, and you’ll have a style that is both interesting and full of hair in no time. 26th out of 30
Front and Center
GETTYSimilar to pompadours and poufs, this sectioned design draws our attention to the front and center of our heads. Braiding or knotting a central section is a simple approach to add lift to areas where fine hair is typically weak in volume. 27th out of 30
GETTYBy stacking two buns together, it will look as though there is more hair than there actually is. Small embellishments, like as these velvet ribbons, can be added on either side to assist conceal your parting. 28th out of 30
@bellahadid Your fine haired updo will benefit from this homage to the ’90s style, which has smooth roots and spiky tips. A water-based pomade and flat brush may be used to smooth the hair back and secure it. A pinch of pomade between your fingers can help to create that piece-y, spiky finish at the ends. 29th out of 30
GETTY When you have fine strands, they generally lack structure and body, which makes them look unattractive. In case you’re envious of Zazie Beetz’s small tendril updo, you may try this on for size: Make a high, tight ponytail out of your hair to complete the look. In the next step, use a very small curling iron (with an 8 mm or 10 mm barrel size) and delicately wrap thin portions of your ponytail around it to create a bun. Use a wide-toothed comb to rake out the curls and pin them in an artistic manner to bring all of the new movement to the front of your ponytail.
GETTYIt might be exhausting to constantly increase the volume of your music. As an alternative, choose to make your ends the focal point of your updo by flipping them out of your bun or pony tail.